Friday, February 1, 2008

Best Mysteries List...


Okey Doke... after my disappointment at the hands of NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN (2007), I thought I should prepare some sound offs of note. My general philosophy on film is that it is much more subjective than, say, asynchronous media like written stories, so discrepancies abound. Also note that I try to hold to relativity: for example, in my fave sci-fi & period mysteries of all time, you won't see The Name of the Rose rank as high as this list might suggest, as in such categorization, experimental efforts are much more important to me.


These represent my FAVORITE MYSTERIES OF ALL TIME:


1. The Big Sleep (1946)

2. Murder on the Orient Express (1974)

3. L.A. Confidential (1997)

4. Murder by Decree (1979)

5. Thunderheart (1992)

6. Castle in the Desert (1942)

7. The Name of the Rose (1986)

8. Rear Window (1954)

9. The Big Fix (1978)

10. Brick (2005)


Incidentally, BRICK gets on this list by innovation alone (but is also a decent mystery film). MVP/Honorable mentions include (but are not necessarily limited to): THE MALTESE FALCON (which suffers for replayability IMHO), ANGEL HEART, BLADE RUNNER, THE NINTH GATE, AND THEN THERE WERE NONE.

No comments: